Sunday, December 9, 2012

What a day!!!!!


Oh my!!!!  Started out with first redd up from Leo Cronin parking lot, white tailed female still being courted, but one wondered why -- I think it's unlikely she still had eggs. Then saw one lone male swimming disconsolately in the pool above the culvert, and one very white tailed female above the eyeletted boulders, still valiantly sweeping sediment from her redd. Males would come to see her, hoping for some action. Each time I would think maybe they knew something I didn't, but I just couldn't believe she had any eggs left -- then after a few minutes they would come to the same conclusion and leave. So it was a little dispiriting....until, on the way back to the parking lot, I stopped where someone was gazing into the pool above the culvert -- only to see one super-fresh female, one very small pretty fresh female, two adult males and a jack, all rolling and tussling and chasing and digging in a fabulous panoply of salmon soap opera. Couldn't tear myself away for hours; must have spoken to 80 or 90 people, all of whom were really happy to have someone tell them what they were seeing.
It really is worth coming out on a Creek Walk right now -- so much more fun to have a good interpreter give some context to these wonderful views.

No comments:

Post a Comment